Monday, August 11, 2008

First Day Home


My first night home went better than I would have expected. The pain is usually under control until the first swallowing...then it is indescribably. I can usually get about three swallows then I am done and my body just aches everywhere. There is a deeper pain and a more intense pain but it is tolerable for the most part. Really the biggest part is that when I feel bad I just feel bad.

I have been able to sleep a few hours at a time...that is a huge praise. Also I ate my first full (although small) bowl of soup. It was so wonderful. Usually when you do not eat it is because your stomach hurts. In this case my stomach is screaming hey I'm hungry and my throat screams back I know but it's going to be awhile before I can get any thing down to you. So tonight I think that my stomach and my throat were in agreement. I think that it helped my mental state a lot. Good part of this is that they weighed me at the hospital Friday and by Monday morning I had already lost between 5-7 pounds. This is very exciting.

The kids are having fun at my sisters. She took the kids to build a bear today. Kayla made a monkey and Noah made his "penny". He loves my sister's black cocker spaniel named penny. So now every black puppy is named penny. My sister tried to get him to make an alligator but he said "no my penny".

So at some point when I am up to it I will share more about the actual surgery experience. It was probably the scariest thing I have ever been through. I had a bad reaction to the morphine and I really thought that I was dying. Obviously I am still here so things worked out okay but it scared me so bad. I had two other episodes with the morphine by that evening so we finally had them make a note in my chart not to use that medicine again.

I have had a lot of good helpers at the hospital and at home. Olivia is such a little helper. She has helped me all day and it is good to have her here. I miss my kids but it is better having them at my sisters because I know they are having a great time. I think that I am not making sense so I'm going to go for now. Several people have offered to help and we will probably need it at some time. We have tried to let people know that we need people fo the long haul over the next couple of weeks. It will be much more difficult when the kids get home and I am trying to take care of them and meals and other responsibilities. So please bear with us and we will try to let people know what we need as soon as we know. There are so many people that need more help than us but we know that it is necessary for us to have some extra help for a short peiord of time.


Reba said...

Oh, my throat just aches thinking about it. I am glad that soup went well though. I will continue to pray for a speedy recovery!